Travel tips for Houseboat Visitors
From traveler's experiences here are some practical travel tips and essential information for your visit to Kerala houseboat: Transportation Options:
By Air: The nearest airport to Alleppey is Cochin International Airport, located approximately 78 kilometers (48 miles) away. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or take a pre-paid taxi to reach Alleppey. Several domestic and international flights operate to and from Cochin International Airport.
By Train: Alleppey has its own railway station, known as Alappuzha Railway Station. It is well-connected to major cities in India, including Kochi, Trivandrum, Chennai, and Bangalore. From the railway station, you can hire a taxi or take an auto-rickshaw to reach your desired destination in Alleppey.
By Road: Alleppey is easily accessible by road. National Highway 66 (NH 66) passes through Alleppey, connecting it to nearby cities and states. You can reach Alleppey by bus, private car, or taxi. State-run and private buses operate regular services to and from Alleppey. Local Customs and Etiquette:
• Dress Modestly: While Alleppey is relatively cosmopolitan, it is advisable to dress modestly, especially when visiting religious sites or interacting with the local community. It is respectful to cover your shoulders and legs, particularly in temples or other religious places.
• Footwear Etiquette: When entering temples or homes, it is customary to remove your footwear as a sign of respect. Look for signs or follow the locals' lead to determine if you need to remove your shoes.
• Respect for Cultural Practices: Alleppey has a rich cultural heritage, and it is important to respect local customs and practices. Observe and follow any guidelines or restrictions that may be in place, especially during religious festivals or ceremonies. Safety Tips:
• Carry a copy of your identification documents, such as your passport or ID card, and keep them in a safe place.
• It's advisable to carry a small first aid kit with basic medications and supplies.
• Take precautions against mosquito bites by using insect repellents and wearing appropriate clothing.
• Ensure you have travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and any other unforeseen circumstances.
• Be cautious of your belongings and avoid displaying expensive items openly to minimize the risk of theft.
• Check weather conditions before embarking on any outdoor activities and follow instructions from local authorities in case of adverse weather. Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit Houseboats in Kerala is during the winter months, from November to February, when the weather is cool and pleasant. This is also the peak tourist season. Avoid visiting during the monsoon season (June to September) as heavy rains can hamper houseboat cruise activities and sightseeing.
By keeping these travel tips in mind, you can have a safe and enjoyable experience while exploring the beautiful backwaters in houseboats.